Rule Changes from the OHSLA Website
It’s time to get up to speed on the rule changes that are coming in 2018. We will spend time discussing these in practice, but please take a few minutes to read through them now…especially the new crosse dimensions. – Coach Brostek
There are several NFHS rule changes for the 2018 season:
- A new Unified field for both girls and boys lacrosse.
- Pockets of non-traditional mesh materials are now permitted (but they must still conform to other stringing rules).
- Some face-off specific rules in section 4-3-3:
- 4-3-3n More clarifications for contrasting the color head from the shaft of the crosse for any player taking a faceoff. A contrasting color must be visible between the head and the gloves of the player it can be tape, paint, or any other material that is different than the colors of the glove and head of the crosse.
- The circumference of the shaft cannot exceed 3.5in.
- 4-3-3d The official shall make certain that the reverse surfaces of the crosses match evenly in that the top of one head lines up with the throat of the other and are perpendicular to the ground.
- A goal will be allowed if the shot is released prior to the end of the period (as opposed to crossing the goal line before time expires).
- An addition to the mouthpiece rule 6-5-2: Failure to wear a required mouthpiece properly (unless it comes out during play).
- Modification of stall rules: The stall warning remains in effect until a goal is scored, a shot that hits the goal pipes, shot that hits the goalie or hits his equipment, the defensive team gains possession of the ball or the period ends resulting in a faceoff. After the team has been warned, stalling shall be called if the ball leaves the goal area in any manner other then as a result of a shot on goal or a touch by the defensive team.
- RESUMING PLAY AFTER PENALTY When a penalty occurs and the ball is in the offended team’s offensive half of the field, the ball shall be put in play by the team awarded the ball, at the spot where the ball was when play was suspended. If the ball was in the goal area when play was suspended, it shall be restarted nearest to the spot of the ball at the time of the whistle, 20 yards laterally outside the goal area.
- Beginning in 2022 (so not this year), the home team will be required to wear white jerseys, and the away team will be required to wear non-white jersey.